General Cemetery "Rusthof" Amersfoort (Oud Leusden)
On the General cemetery (Algemene Begraafplaats) de Rusthof
located at Oud-Leusden
are next to the general graves also a quite amount of war graves.
Soldiers are buried here from all nations Dutch, Russian Central
and soldiers from the commonwealth.
As noted before there are all kind of nationalities buried on the cemetery they all where POW's.
Most of the Dutch victims are of Camp Amersfoort, executions or hunger.
The commonwealth war graves gives a total of 231
All graves are Air force personnel except one grave of a British
he drowned crossing a river during operation Market - Garden
and washed ashore near Vianen
During the War the Germans pronounced the cemetery as being a military cemetery.
"Bent but not broken"
As mentioned British soldiers are buried here
but during the war also U.S and German air force personnel was buried here,
in the first few years the Germans buried them with military honor
this ended in 1943 after Hitler declared the allied airmen as terrorists,
and from that moment on the German just drove up to the cemetery
threw the body's from a truck on the pavement and left them there.
The caretaker of the cemetery identified the body's himself and buried them
After the war the German casualties were reburied at Ysselstein German Cemetery,
the U.S. casualties were reburied at Margraten, Neufville and Codron in Belgium
101 graves are from Soviet Russian soldiers
who died in Concentration camp Amersfoort,
They where originally buried at "The Rusthof"
in a mass grave but reburied on this field of honor on March 28th 1946.
On May 4, 1975 a new monument was unveiled on the "Ereveld".
This monument of Armenian white marble was carried from Russia by truck
in three sections it was installed by the Dutch Military Corps of Engineers.
The monument is a ten meter obelisk with an inscription in Dutch and Russian.
To the fighters of
The Soviet Army who
the struggle with the
1941 - 1945
Unknown Soviet Soldier
At the end of World War II, the U.S. Military Cemetery in Margraten,
In 1962 the simple nameplates on the graves where replaced
by sandstone headstones with the appropriate inscription.
© The Hins 1999 - 2002